On May 8, 1880, the Col. D.M. Jones G.A.R. Post No. 172 was established in Tyrone
by the Union veterans of the Civil War. Today, a new camp of "Sons" assembles for
meetings in the shadow of that G.A.R. post. We meet in the Community Room of the
Tyrone-Snyder Public Library, 10th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, Tyrone, PA, just
across the street from the location of the G.A.R. Hall where the original camp met.
The spirit of the original camp members looms largely in our memories. With renewed
spirit and determination, the newly re-chartered Camp #89 will live on.
The original camp was formed in February 1895 for the purpose of assisting the
G.A.R. and eventually succeeding them in keeping green the graves of ex-soldiers
and perpetuating the principles for which they fought. For unknown reasons this
camp disbanded in December 1920. A group of men, organized by Dr. Robert Hileman,
Jr., enable the re-establishment of this camp on June 12, 2009. The camp is located
in Tyrone Borough, Blair County, Pennsylvania.