The history of the Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans is closely associated
with the Grand Army of the Republic which was founded in 1866 and the Allied Orders
who were later formed to continue their work. Post 94 of the Grand Army, Philadelphia,
in 1878 created a Cadet Corps which later became the Sons of Union Veterans. Similar
units were organized throughout many neighboring States. In 1882, the first session
of the Commandery-In-Chief, Sons of Veterans was held at Pittsburgh, Penn.
In later years, the name was changed to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.
The need for an Auxiliary was soon recognized and through the efforts of Major A.P.
Davis, the first Ladies Aid Society was organized at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in
1883 and in the following year was officially recognized as their Auxiliary. Ladies
Aid Societies were formed in several States in rapid succession and in 1886 plans
for a National Organization were formed, with the first National Encampment being
held in Akron, Ohio, September 1887. At the National Encampment at Boston, Massachusetts
in 1894, our name was changed to the Sons of Union Veterans Auxiliary, with it eventually
becoming known as the Auxiliary to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.